(Disclaimer: This article never attempts to endorse any Specific Brands, Companies, Websites, and Institutes or any individual and written based on personal experience.)
This entire series is focused on educating the MBA grads on industry practices. However, it can be generalized to other disciplines too, who aspire to be a part of Skilled Workforce. Top tiered institutes admit candidates after rigorous scrutiny, eventually it’s a cake-walk to place candidates at large and in high bracket CTC. This series attempts to unravel the myths to educate and empower grads on best hiring practices in the industry.
Companies in developed countries are moving from degrees to skills (Skills, not degrees)in a phenomenal phase. In India, Skill based recruitment happens on an ad hoc basis and positions. Companies conventionally follow these practices as a measure to attract and retain talents.
Building Blocks for Careers
- Academic Profile: Top tiered companies and brands look out for candidates with consistent academic history like
- No History of Arrears (Passed in First Attempt) since tenth standard to UG / PG.
- A Pass in First class and a Distinction
- No Gap in studies from school until graduation.
Grads are screened on the first criteria at most cases. Arrears are no more a fancy term, when students are serious about their career. Even startups are resorting to such practices for hiring best talents.
For Ex: Vistaar Financial Services (NBFC from 2010) Bengaluru, a 1200 Crore turnover company recruits entirely based on above norms and never compromises on quality recruits.
- Language: English is considered as a business language, companies expect a candidate to be proficient enough in oral and written, especially when they deal with high net worth clients in domestic and abroad. To reduce the influence of regional phonetics, students can pursue Cambridge English: Business certificates (BEC) which will provide an elite look to their resume and career.
The best way to improve language is only when we speak, language improves only by practice. Proficiency in multiple regional languages will be an added advantage, as companies function across regional boundaries.
- Interpersonal Skills: A much discussed skillset in the name of Soft skills in this decade, which gave opportunities for mushrooming of startups across the country. There are lot of websites which give detailed listings on this topic. Commonly discussed are;
- Attitude (is everything!)
- From Effective Communication to the art of Story telling
- People Skills – Assertiveness & Resilience
- Selling Skills
- Emotional Quotient (EQ) etc.,
- Foreign Language: Apart from regional languages, knowledge on foreign languages like German, French, Japanese, Arabic etc., is much sought to work in MNCs and Conglomerates. Students may choose the languages relevant to industry. Plenty of free Web resources and apps complement language learning. (For Ex: duolingo.com)
- Basic IT Skills
- Ability to use Smart Phones and PCs.
- A professional email id is necessary for all correspondence. An email shouldn’t contain any fancy names or Numbers. A Recently taken Photo to be added with the email profile. (Normally Gmail is associated with Google Plus or Old Orkut account – delink or remove those pics and tagline). A Digital Signature is required.
- Grads, irrespective of their disciplines (Arts / Science / Engineering or MBA) must be fair enough to create, edit, analyse and present documents / data using MS Office. An intermediate skill in MS Office (esp. in Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook) is a basic eligibility for any profession.
- Video resume: A 90 second video of the candidate on “Tell about yourself” in brief, would be a sufficient representation of skills and expertise. Video can be uploaded to YouTube and the link to be shared in the resume.
- Resume and Visual CV
Candidates can opt for a visual CV as an alternate to conventional resumes. (Caution: Not to use too much info graphics). Resources;
- Current Affairs: Contemporary news upgrade on the desired sector/industry/company is a preliminary requisite before appearing for an interview. Google News App, NDTV Profit, Social Platform Quora.com – can be used to learn and clarify queries on the industry. (For Ex: Demonetization and GST are trending in BFSI Sector). Candidates can have detailed background inquiry and read reviews about the company in website like Glassdoor.com.
- A LinkedIn profile
“People are socially connected, physically not”. Digital era emphasizes the grads to have online presence as a means for assessment. Everyone must have a completed LinkedIn profile with optimized public profile link. This link needs to be quoted in their resume.
- Aadhar Card (Companies are using this to expedite background verification)
- All Mark sheets / Curricular / Co – curricular / Extra Curricular certificates (relevant to jobs) from School until graduation
- Driving License
- PAN Card
The candidates can scan and upload the documents to their drive to have anywhere access.
- Corporate Attire and Apparels: Though companies like Zoho allow their employees to have “No Dress Code” Policy, there is a necessity and insistence on corporate attire, apparels and personal grooming during interviews and in workplace. An investment on the attire during the final year is necessary.
- Interview Rounds: Normally, any interview process consists of these stages;
- Group Discussion
- Psychometric tests
- Technical Interview
- HR Interview
Applicants must prepare well on these areas, especially in Aptitude, which is a first level of screening process (Resource: Educationforever.in). Companies always expect problem solving as a major parameter and psychometric tests are used to assess the ability/acumen of the grad to fit in the job and company. Grads must be able to speak well (In-depth Understanding) on their favourite subject / topics relevant to Job & Company during interview.
To be continued…. (Part 3: Online Courses) …
Image Courtesy: millville.com, urbanpro.com, Microsoft.com, Macmillan.com
Previous Post: Employability Skills (Series): Part 1 – Self Awareness