Top Online Course Websites for Career and Skill Enhancement
Online courses serve as a supplement to regular academic degrees and skill enhancement for those who would like to enrich and future proof their career. Advent of Internet paved way for translating the distance education to popular mode of learning as MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) in 2012.
This article identifies the MOOC websites based on popularity, associated partners (Academic & Industry) and Charges involved (Free & Paid).
University | Industry Partnered Course Websites
- SWAYAM (https://swayam.gov.in/) : An initiative by Govt. of India. The Participants are NPTEL for engineering, UGC for post-graduation education, CEC for under-graduate education, NCERT & NIOS for school education, IGNOU for out of the school students and IIMB for management studies. These courses are available Free of cost to the residents in India
- EDX (edx.org) : Founded by Harvard University and MIT in 2012, edX is an online learning destination and MOOC provider, offering high-quality courses from the world’s best universities, institutions and more than 90 global partners to learners everywhere. Students can either pay or get a verified certificate or just audit (for free – except assessment) the courses.
- Coursera (coursera.org ): Founded in 2012 by two Stanford Professors with 149 University Partners, 2000+ courses, 180+ Specializations, 4 Degrees. Similar to EDX, this site offers one week trial (Free to access any one course but not to complete specialization– and needs Credit card info) and earn a certificate.
- Future Learn (futurelearn.com): Founded in December 2012 with 12 University partners by The Open University in Milton Keynes, England. As of January 2017, included 109 UK and international partners, including non-university partners.
- NPTEL (http://nptel.ac.in/): The National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning(NPTEL), a project funded by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD India), provides e-learning in Engineering, Sciences, Technology, Management and Humanities for students and faculty. This is a joint initiative by 7 IITs and IISc, Bangalore. Other selected premier institutions also act as Associate Partner Institutions.
- Open Learning (openlearning.com): Based in Australia that offers a Social Online learning platform worked with the University of New South Wales and Taylor’s University to deliver the first MOOCs in Australia and Malaysia respectively.
- Open Classrooms (https://openclassrooms.com/) : Open Classrooms is an online platform for vocational training, providing internationally recognized programmes and courses in IT, technology, entrepreneurship and digital skills with individual mentoring sessions and offers courses in English, French and Spanish.
- Saylor (saylor.org ): Saylor Academy is working since 2008, offers nearly 100 full-length courses at the college and professional levels at free of cost.
- Open2Study (https://www.open2study.com/): Open2Study is backed by Open Universities Australia (OUA), an Australian leader in accredited online education (www.open.edu.au) offers courses under – University Courses / Free Courses / Professional Training
- Shaw Academy (http://shawacademy.com/): Based in Dublin, Ireland, offers wide range of subjects including photography, financial trading, nutrition, and digital marketing.
- Peer to Peer University (https://www.p2pu.org): Started in 2009 with funding from Hewlett Foundation and Shuttle worth Foundation, allows users to organize and participate in courses and study groups to learn about specific topics.
- Kadenze (https://www.kadenze.com): Launched in 2015 with 18 academic partners, offers courses geared towards art, music, and creative technology.
- Oeconsortium (oeconsortium.org): A Global network of educational institutions, individuals and organizations that support an approach to education based on openness, including collaboration, innovation and collective development and use of open educational materials with 17 member contributors & other member organizations.
For complete MOOC Courses listings refer to https://www.mooc-list.com/
Skill Based | Industry Partnered Course Websites
- Certifications in BFSI Sector (Banking Financial Services and Insurance) – Commonly termed as finance sector, certifications from below list are Industry recognized and mandatory for trading in Markets, Work as Insurance / Financial Consultant;
- NCFM (https://www.nseindia.com/education/content/module_ncfm.htm): Foundation, Intermediate and Advanced Modules | Certifications in Financial Markets.
- NISM (http://www.nism.ac.in/certification/ ): Certifications in Securities Market.
- DBF (http://www.iibf.org.in/flagshipcourses.asp?tab=4) : Diploma in Banking and Finance for Non – Members (Not employed in Banks) and JAIIB for Members (Junior Associate of Indian Institute of Banking – for those employed in Banks).
- IRDA (https://www.insuranceinstituteofindia.com/web/guest/e-learning ) (http://www.iiiexams.org/) – Insurance Exams for becoming Agents & Advisors.
- Udemy (udemy.com ): This platform provides excellent courses for skill development, either at no charge or for a minimal fee. Courses are available as low as $10 (INR 640) with quality content by industry practitioners. Currently it holds more than 55,000 courses on the website.
- Unanth (unanth.com): This Website offers courses in Business, Design, Development, IT and Personal development.
- EduCBA (educba.com): An initiative by IIT IIM Graduates, addressing the needs 500,000+ members across 40+ Countries. Our unique step-by-step, with amazing 4849 courses prepared by top notch professionals from the Industry.
- My Abhyaas (https://www.myabhyaas.com): It offers courses in Business & Finance.
- Other useful Websites:
- ed.ted.com – educational videos from TED
- duolingo.com & www.busuu.com – To learn languages for free
- discuvver.com – Browse useful websites
- Six Sigma Certification (https://www.sixsigmaonline.org/six-sigma-white-belt-training/) – White Belt is not recognised by industry but gives fair understanding. Lean & Six Sigma, Logistics & Supply Chain Management and Project Management certifications are well acknowledged by Core Industries.
- GCASE – Global Community for Advancing Studies on Entrepreneurship – https://news.gcase.org/free-online-course/ – Free Course on Entrepreneurship.
To be continued…
3.2: Data Science